Here is a quick breakdown of the parts typically seen in most wedding ceremonies:
- Prelude: Music that plays while your guest arrive and find their seats.
- Processional: When the bridal party and the bride make their entrance, typically down the aisle.
- Ceremony: When the bride and groom are married.
- Recessional: When the bride and groom, and bridal party, walk/skip/dance back down the aisle after the ceremony. It’s celebration time!
If you’re stuck, here are some favorite wedding ceremony selections to consider.
Often times classical music or instrumental versions of your favorite songs are selected.
- Prelude in C – Early 18th century, JS Bach (listen)
- A Starlit Sky by The Workday Release (listen)
- Maybe I’m Amazing by Paul McCartney (listen)
- A Rose is Gently Blooming, J Brahms (listen)
- Waiting on a Woman by Brad Paisley (listen)
Even more ideas here.
While classical music is traditional, a sweet mix by a skilled vocalist can be memorable too. Feel free to give it your own touch!
- Arioso – Early 18th Century by JS Bach (listen)
- What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong (listen)
- Yellow by the Vitamin String Quartet (listen)
- Bridal Chorus (Here Comes The Bride), Wagner (listen)
- I Choose You by Sara Bareilles (listen)
Even more ideas here. For the non-traditional wedding, here are inspired song choices to consider.
There is a lot of variations to how ceremonies are planned. Some ceremonies do not require any specific music during the vows. Other ceremonies plan for special songs that pop up at times during the ceremony. It’s all up to you!
- The Wedding Song (There is Love) by Paul Stookey (listen)
- You Are The Best Thing, Ray LaMontagne (listen)
- My Best Friend by Tim McGraw (listen)
This is a joyous time: You’re married! Lots of couples choose a song that is special and fun here to start the party off on the right foot. (But of course, you can stay traditional too.)
- Ave Maria, JS Bach/Gound (listen)
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Stevie Wonder (listen)
- Chances by Jill Barber (listen)
- Treasure by Bruno Mars (listen)
- Wedding March, Mendelssohn (listen)
Even more (fun!!) ideas here.